Saturday, May 15, 2010

TMI? yeah, maybe...

I've been debating on writing this, but it's just too good not to share. We're all mostly girls in this bloggy world, so it's time for some "girl talk." If you are grossed out by girly stuff, like... Aunt Flo.... stop reading, now.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

So anyway, my SIL (maybe one day? but I call her that anyway) introduced me to these great things called InStead.
At first, I was like "um, that's weird." And you may say the same thing, but hear me out, and give them a shot anyway. It's an alternative to a tampon, and it's GREAT. It's this "cup" you insert "instead," and it catches all the gross stuff. There is no risk for Toxic Shock Syndrome with them, so you can wear them for up to 12 hours, and I have, in white pants no less. Throughout nursing school we had to wear WHITE scrub pants and work long clinical days in the hospital. There isn't much time to take bathroom breaks and do tampon checks. I tried them out at home first of course, but once I realized how awesome they were, it was on! You put it in and forget about it, for real. Perfect for long days out especially if you are going on a boat, a long car ride, or to a concert, I would especially use them someplace where there are porta pottys - gross. Especially awesome on light days when a tampon is too much, and you don't want to wear a liner. And equally as great on heavy days when you just don't want to deal with worrying about whether or not it's time for a tampon change. If you aren't totally grossed out yet and you are still reading, you can find these things in your local drug store, but you have to look hard. They are usually on the bottom shelf at the end. A box of 14 is comparable in price to a box of tampons at about $7.99, but remember, you can wear them twice as long if not more, so it evens out if you pay a little bit more.

Let me know if you've tried them, or try them, and what you think!

14 comments:

  1. ok i'm totally going to ask a really gross question...but when you take it out...how messy is it? i've heard sooo many ppl talk about the 'diva cup' or these....but never thought to ask! i'm pretty sold b/c i'm sooo sick of wearing a tampon on light days..i feel like it rips my insides out...and pads...no thanks...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - It's not that bad. The first few times I tried them they were a bit messy, but you get the hang of removing it pretty quickly. Plus you can wear the instead cup during sex. Only caution there is put a new one in before sex - umm, your partner MAY dislodge it {happened only 1 time for me} and THAT was a huge mess!

    PS - I LOVE THE NEW LAYOUT HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow theses are very interesting! I may have to try them out! Thanks for sharing your find =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, not sure what to think... not grossed out but not convinced either... maybe.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK gross question #2 how easy are they to get in. Do they stay put easily??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear them! I love them! They're awesome! I blogged about this same thing just last year! They are a true lifesaver in my period woes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok how in the heck does that thing really work? LOL it looks like a female condom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went on their website and watched the video. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Here is where I watched the video http://www.softcup.com/video.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about them but I'm not sure...I might have to trial test it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My jaw literally dropped as I was reading this! I'm not easily grossed out, but it does sound a little gross! And someone mentioned wearing one during sex? For reals?

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are also used by people trying to conceive... It helps keep the swimmers close to the cervix during ov time... I know that was random but my OB actually suggested we give it a try later on in our attempt at getting pregnant... i think will try these if i get my period... Although I pray i am preggers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a cycle anymore since I had my IUD done but I always had issues with tampons when I did. I would so use these if I needed to. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool, will def be trying these this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Wasn't expecting this - you girls are making me laugh. You all r the next best things to sisters...not sure I am sold on the whole idea of seeing all my business collected in a "cup".

    ReplyDelete