Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bits and Pieces


We had our very first puppy chewing accident this morning, and it was not a good one! Ed left the house early this morning to go airboating with his dad, and I stayed in bed. We have been trying this thing that when he leaves before I wake up, he just leaves Zoey out of her crate. She has been SOOOOO good, and never gets into anything, or has any accidents, she usually just lays on her bed or by the sliding glass door in the sunshine until I get up. Well... this morning I was woken up by a horrific thunderstorm, and while I was laying in bed listening to the rain and thunder, I heard another noise that was kind of odd..... I decided to get up and check on her since I thought the thunder might have scared her. I immediately looked to her bed, and she wasn' t there, but there were little tiny pieces about 1/2 inch long scattered all over it, and next to it, a long black cord.... following it with my eyes, I realized what it was. Ed's laptop power cord. Uh oh! It was plugged in, so I have no idea how she managed to chew it up so much without being shocked, but she did. (I would have taken pictures to show you all the tiny little bits and pieces, but Ed was so mad when he came home, he threw away the evidence before I had a chance.) Zoey was under the coffee table sulking. When I dropped my voice and scolded her, she pee'd. We have a small problem with her and submissive pee'ing. This was just another one of those incidents. She does it sometimes when she gets in trouble, and when new males come to the house... it's something we've been working on. She knew she had done wrong. She had dropped her head and her tail, and her little ears were shaking. :( I felt bad for her, but I was also really mad too! Luckily, even though it was a horrible thing to have chewed up, Ed has a spare. Unlike me.... I only have one power cord, and a horrible battery life!!!!!!! Ed didn't seem to see the bright side of the ordeal when I told him about it, he is still mighty upset with her, and she knows it! She won't come up to him and snuggle her little head in his lap today looking for love. She is keeping her distance!!!!!! 

I was so surprised she did this. She has always been such a good puppy. She has NEVER destroyed anything that wasnt hers. She has been known to chew on her dog bed... but a couple dashes of hot pepper sauce cured her of that habit. We leave our shoes out, laptop cords on the floor, gym bag, etc, and she never messes with any of it. I think it must have had something to do with the storm. We were watching a show on dog training on tv later and they said that chewing can be caused by anxiety. I have no idea... All I know is that she has lost our trust, and she will stay in her crate in the mornings now until I wake up. Poor Zoey Monster... She knows when she does something wrong, you can just tell, but like any kid, she can't always resist the temptation!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment